3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup cereal flakes (Note: I used Special K brand, but bran flakes would be good as well)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
3. Combine the butter and sugars in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add egg, applesauce, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture and beat until well combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in the oats, cereal flakes, cranberries, and chocolate chips until just combined. The dough will be sticky.
4. Score the dough into four equal portions and, using wet hands, form three dough balls from each fourth, for a total of 12 cookies.
5. Place dough balls evenly spaced on the prepared cookie sheet. Using wet hands, slightly flatten each dough ball, as cookies will not spread as they bake.
6. Bake for approximately 14 minutes or until cookies are light brown and soft.
7. Let them rest on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes, and then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 cookies.